I used to say that I write in the crannies of the day and now that’s more true then ever before. I don’t write during quiet time anymore, I grab a nap or read while holding a baby. Nor do I write after the girls are in bed, I watch an episode of something (right now Gilmore Girls has my full attention) while I feed Kieran and then go to bed at a very early hour.
But lists of the things that make me happy? I can always write those. And especially in this season of more intensive mothering (all three children were up several times last night, pass the coffee) I need to write down the happy. Because there is so much of it, right along with the overwhelm.
- Conversations with my girls are so fun right now, they have many, many questions and observations about the world around them. They help me remember to make it fun like using jelly beans as math manipulatives on days when I would rather hire a math tutor.
- A good book. I’ve been reading some really enjoyable reads lately, nothing too deep or fluffy or emotional. I love having a few good books on the go!
- Bird-watching. I realize that mentioning my early bedtime and now bird-watching takes me into a whole other category but I’m okay with that. We’ve set up a couple feeders in our front yard tree and I take such delight in seeing the many chickadees gleefully perch on the suet. I’m hopeful for a nest to be built among the branches, the epitome of spring.
- Time out with friends- baby showers, phone conversations, coffee dates and playdates where the children play long enough for good conversation to happen- these are filling my cup right now. The last month of pregnancy and first couple months of newborn life I tended to hibernate but now that the fog is clearing, I am enjoying and needing these times.
- Using Pinterest and my library system to work for me and give me inspiration to make learning fun for my girls. This month we focused on Ireland and Saint Patrick, our library bin was full of all sorts of great books and my girls can’t wait to visit Ireland to hunt for leprechauns. Homeschooling with a newborn (after moving 6 months ago) is a post for another day but being intentional about having good books for those days when we do a lot of read aloud and art is making me happy.
- Seeing friends dream big and then getting to be an observer as they take big leaps to move their families into places they’ve dreamed of gets me so excited every single time. Even when they move away from us, there’s just something so beautiful about big dreams, pursuing them and seeing the reality of them lived out.
That’s my list on this grey March day, tell me what big and small things are on your list of happy?