One of my favourite questions right now is ‘what is making you happy?’. I’m a fan of this question because it focuses on the little (or big) things in our lives that bring a little extra sparkle. And in these early weeks of roller coaster hormones and emotions, I need a little extra sparkle.
Here’s my short list of what’s making me happy during these marathon nursing sessions and cozy winter days:
- a new podcast by one of my favourite bloggers, What Should I Read Next. It answers the questions that every reader asks, introduces new titles and thoughts about old favourites and I always head to my library’s website after finishing an episode. I love it.
- a new cookbook called Date Night In. We’ve already declared this the year of date nights at home (hello new baby!) and this book is tailored made for that purpose. Ashley has done all the work of planning out menus, timelines and shopping lists because as a mother of three she knows the reality of making date nights work. It’s a beautiful book with essays about their marriage that made me tear up, more then just post partum emotions. She’s from Seattle and for the personality geeks, Ashley shares the same Ennegram as me which was super fun. I can’t wait to start cooking from this book.
- a new (to me) Netflix show, I have become enamoured with Gilmore Girls. It hits the sweet spot of an engaging story without too much of anything and is the perfect companion to evening nursing sessions. I also want coffee every time I hear the opening music.
- a family book club– I love the idea of focused reading as an addition to our homeschool and was delighted when Jessica approached me about joining in this endeavour. Each month has a theme and three books to read along for various age groups. The titles are great and I’m excited to explore along with my girls through reading. Join in on discussions, reviews and activities with our Facebook group . I’ll be posting more about this in the months to come
- hoodies, leggings and top knots, I would never leave the house in this uniform but for cozy days around home, comfy clothes that fit my post baby body and make me feel somewhat pulled together make me happy.
- coffee and chocolate – coffee always makes any short list of happiness but right now I’m especially enjoying a hot mug of husband made coffee. I had gestational diabetes during my pregnancy and it was challenging. I’m enjoying being able to eat sweets again and not think about every morsel of food I put in my mouth.
I’d love to hear what things are adding a little extra sparkle to your days!